Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Spring in Yelm

Would you believe it if I told you I am sitting in our SUNNY backyard and typing this?? Yep...we have sunshine. :) And--it's 58 degrees out right now. AND--there are flowers on my plum tree! AND my husband is mowing our lawn for the first time all year! Oh, wait. That's my neighbor. We still haven't mowed our lawn.........



We just got back from a family walk to our tiny little "downtown" here in Yelm. We're about a 5 minute walk from "The Corner." There you can find "Prairie Lanes," the local bowling alley, "Prairie Dental," a home with a charming picket fence, blooming muscari, and perfectly combed pea gravel drive. The office is downstairs, the family lives upstairs. At the light is Tim's Pharmacy, and across the street from that is a framing shop/art gallery that offers art classes for children. Around the corner from Tim's is the White Horse Tavern, frequently populated by bikers, and down the road a bit of a drive is my favorite store of the year, "Bullfrogs & Butterflies," used kids' clothing & toys. Across from there is the Yelm Timberland Library, where Grace, Violet & I spend time every couple of weeks.

We walked past Cochran Memorial Park, where we fed the ducks during the winter.....






Tim's Pharmacy & Gifts was our destination for today....they just opened up "Holy Grounds" espresso shop (The name is actually reflective of the owners' religion; they consistently have scripture quoted on their digital sign in front of the store.) in the back, where they serve espresso creations made from Batdorf & Bronson roast. B&B roasters are one of the most famous names in Western Washington. We got REALLY lucky to have this place within walking distance of our little country home.


Tim's Pharmacy is one of my favorite stores in this small town. They have a GORGEOUS assortment of gift items, stuff you'd never expect to find in the middle of the prairie. They have everything you'd think, "I have to order that on the internet, no one local would carry that." For instance, the "Scrapbook Nook" was a huge surprise...a place I linger in for hours, if I have no children with me. They also have some very unique home decor stuff, too. I bought Violet & Grace's "jewel berries" here, which I used in their bedroom decor. Then there's the handmade truffles...not to mention the huge variety of gourmet teas & candies....oh yeah, Ben bought me my Willow tree birthday figurines here.    :)

Anyway. Spring is here.


Ben is napping in the grass behind me....

Violet is barefooted.


I think I like this town today. Maybe we'll stay.....................

2 comments:

lislynn said...

HEY. Don't talk like that.

Although I envy you your tiny town. It sounds like the old days in Hburg. We have yet to find our Organic Grounds here. Nor have we found friends to enjoy it with. None of our friends so far are coffee drinkers. I guess in Florida, why bother?

Joy said...

I sure hope so!!! :)